Utah Lost Title Bond

Utah Lost Title Bond

Apply »

What is an Utah Lost Title Bond? 

Utah Lost Title Bonds are required by the state of Utah's DMV to obtain your title and register your vehicle, boat, RV, mobile home or trailer.  The bond ensures that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle, Mobile home, trailer etc. The Utah Lost Title Bond guarantees damages up to the bond limit for a legitimate title holder that may surface in the future with a valid claim to the vehicle, Mobile home, boat or trailer.

Different parts of a bond:

 The bond is required when The Obligee (obligator) is the entity requiring you to get the bond.  There are 3 parts to a surety bond. The Principal, The Surety Company, and the Obligee. The Principal is the business or individual applying for the Surety Bond. The Obligee is the individual or entity requiring the Surety Bond and the Surety Company is the company who provides the Surety Bond coverage.


Try our 100%  Secure Lost Title Bond Online Application to get the Lowest Lost title bond rates in all 50 States.


You can buy your Utah Lost Title Bonds (Apply) online immediately, with no credit check for most Lost Title Bonds.

How much does a Utah Lost Title Bond cost?

For Utah Lost Title Bonds under $5,000 the cost of the bond is $100. For bonds over $5,000 the rate is 1.5%

Utah Lost Title Bond Information and Requirements

General Information

The following list describes which vehicles are required to be titled in Utah:

  • Vehicles – Every vehicle (including motor vehicles, motorcycles, trailers, semi-trailers, and manufactured homes) operated in Utah, regardless of model year, must be titled except non-commercial trailers that have an unloaded weight of 750 pounds or less.
  • Off-Highway Vehicles (OHV) – Every 1988 or newer OHV, including snowmobiles, operated in Utah must be titled. Though no title is issued to an OHV that is 1987 or older, registration requirements may still apply.
  • Watercraft – Every 1985 or newer watercraft operated in Utah waters must be titled except canoes and inflatable watercrafts powered by an outboard motor with 25 horsepower or less. (See Boats & Watercraft for more exemptions) Though no title is issued to a watercraft that is 1984 or older, registration requirements may still apply.
  • Outboard Motors – Every 1985 or newer outboard motor operated in Utah waters must be titled except those with a manufacturer’s listed horsepower of 25 or less.
  • Campers – Every 2015 or newer camper registered in Utah must be titled.  Model years of 2014 and older may obtain a title at owner’s request.
  • Park Model Recreational Vehicles – Every 2015 or newer park model vehicle must be titled in Utah.  Model years of 2014 and older may obtain a title at owner’s request.
  • Multistage Vehicles – A title issued on a multistage vehicle will show the VIN, make, model, and body style, for all VINs/stages of the vehicle.


Though every title situation is different from the last, you should at least have the original title or a bill of sale from the previous owner. Either of these should be sufficient to at least get you started at the DMV, and should allow you to at least obtain a temporary permit while you round up additional documents such as safety and emissions inspections.

For more specific information, see:

I just bought a vehicle, but the seller can’t find the title. What do I do?

It is the seller’s responsibility to find and transfer the title to you. It is very common that a “missing” title is simply being held by the seller’s bank or credit union as collateral for a loan, in which case the seller should contact their bank or credit union. If the title is truly missing, however, the seller will need to apply for a duplicate title.

If the previous title was a Utah title, the seller may complete Form TC-123, Application for Duplicate Utah Title in place of the original title, which not only requests a duplicate title, but also allows the seller to transfer that duplicate title to you. You may then take the Application for Duplicate Utah Title to the DMV along with a bill of sale.

If the previous title was from out-of-state, however, the seller is responsible for obtaining a duplicate title from that state. In cases like these, you may take a bill of sale to the DMV, pay your title and registration fees, and obtain a temporary permit so that you may use the vehicle while you wait for the title.

Apply »