General Liability

General Liability

What is General Liability Insurance?

Often the first insurance a business will purchase and commonly referred to as “slip and fall insurance” or “CGL”. General Liability Insurance provides protection from bodily injury, property damage, advertising and personal injury claims that you are legally responsible for. If you conduct work on your premises, your client’s premises, or you advertise your business in anyway, then it is a good idea to purchase General Liability Insurance. 

Who needs General Liability Insurance?

As a business owner, you already face a tremendous risk just by being in operation. If someone gets hurt or injured as result of your operations, products, or services, you could be facing a potentially hefty lawsuit. Some businesses that can benefit from General Liability insurance are but not limited to:

  • Businesses that have direct contact with their clients either at the insured’s office or the client’s premises such as lawyers, accountants, medical specialists such as chiropractors and therapists.
  • Businesses that have direct access to client’s property such as janitorial companies, jewelers that perform repairs, and IT services. 
  • If you represent your client’s business in anyway
  • If you use any outside premise or property for your business activities such as a meeting hall or banquet area. 
  • If you plan to enter into a contract with your client for work you will be performing such as constructions companies (Artisan & General Contractors), handyman services, moving companies, etc.

What does General Liability specifically exclude? 

Although this may vary from policy to policy, typical general liability exclusions may include: 

  • Expected or Intended Injury
  • Liquor Liability (Can be purchased on a separate policy) 
  • Workers Compensation & Employer’s Liability Claims (injury to employees)  
  • Pollution (Unless specifically endorsed) 
  • Aircraft, Auto, and Watercraft operations
  • War
  • Damage to property in the care, custody, and control of the insured. (Property Damage Extension can be endorsed onto the policy to fill this gap) 
  • Damage to insured’s work 
  • The oral or written publication of material by the insured known to be false
  • Breach of contract 
  • Criminal acts committed by or at the direction of the insured.