Title in Louisiana

Lost Title in Louisiana

Louisiana Lost Title Bond

There is no requirement for a Lost Title Bond in Louisiana. 

Louisiana Lost Title Information and Requirements:

Since your title is proof that you are the legal owner of your vehicle, you should always store the document in a safe place. You'll need this document when you're selling your vehicle or registering your vehicle for the first time. If you ever lose or damage your LA certificate of title, you can request a duplicate from the Louisiana Office of Motor Vehicles (OMV).

Please note, the following parties are allowed to request a duplicate title:

·         The last registered owner of the vehicle.

·         A person granted power of attorney for the last registered owner.

·         A curator for the last registered owner if he or she is determined to be interdicted and thus incapable of handling the transaction.

·         A bankruptcy trustee.

·         The recorded lienholder for the vehicle.

·         A representative for a corporation that has a legitimate interest in the vehicle.

Continue reading this page for details about the entire process of applying for a replacement title in Louisiana.

How to Apply for a Duplicate LA Title

You must apply for your duplicate vehicle title in person at your local Louisiana OMV office.

To request a duplicate title, you'll need to submit:

·         A completed Vehicle Application (Form DPSMV 1799) to your nearest OMV office.

·         A copy of your Louisiana registration certificate.

o    If you're unable to include a copy of any previous registration certificate, please include a note stating this. If you fail to do so, the process will be delayed and the LA OMV may reject your application.

·         Payment for the duplicate title fees:

o    The OMV charges $68.50 to issue a duplicate title, plus an additional $8 handling fee.


1.       If you would like the title mailed to someone other than the registered owner, the authorization statement must be checked on the application. You must also complete the mail-to section on the application.

2.       If you are not currently living in Louisiana, you must obtain a letter from the department of motor vehicles in your new state that indicates no additional title has been issued.

Making Changes to Your Title in Louisiana

If you wish, you can make changes to the following fields on your duplicate title:

·         Your address.

·         Driver's license number.

·         Employer identification number (EIN).

·         Secondary address.

·         Lienholder status.

If there is an open lien on the vehicle, a notarized Affidavit of Non-Possession of Title by Lienholder must be completed by the lienholder. In this case, the duplicate title will be mailed to the lienholder after processing. Otherwise, you'll need to submit a satisfaction of lien with your application.

Deceased Vehicle Owner?

If the owner of the vehicle has died, the LA OMV will not issue a vehicle title in that person's name. In the case of a sale, you'll need to find out how the estate is being settled by the heirs, and transfer the title from the deceased owner's name.

Be prepared to submit a satisfaction of lien if the previous title reflected a lien.