South Dakota Lost Title Bond

South Dakota Lost Title Bond

No  Lost title bond required in SD

Replacing a Lost Title in South Dakota

If you wish to sell your car or use it as collateral on a loan, you'll need to produce your vehicle title. However, car titles can often get lost or damaged over the years. Luckily, the state of South Dakota makes it easy to acquire a new title if your title is lost, damaged or stolen.

Losing a title happens more than you might think. So much so, the South Dakota Motor Vehicles Division (MVD) has an efficient duplicate title retrieval process.

Ordering a Duplicate Title in SD

NOTE: When applying for a South Dakota duplicate title, you will need to provide your driver’s license. Titles are only issued to the recorded owner or someone who is an authorized agent and can provide documentation of the power of attorney.

You can apply for a replacement copy of your vehicle title by mail or in person at your local MVD office.

The process of applying for your duplicate title is simple. You'll need to:

·         Complete an Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MV-010). It must be signed before a notary public, and include the notary public's seal, and the signatures of all owners of the vehicle.

·         Provide an odometer reading if your vehicle is 9 years old or less, and/or has a gross vehicle weight rating of 16,000 lbs. or less.

·         Include a lien release if there's a lien, or have the lienholder sign your application.

o    If there is a lien on the vehicle, the duplicate title will be sent to the lienholder. See "Lien on Your Vehicle" below for more information.

·         Submit payment for the $10 duplicate title fee.

·         You can either deliver this in person to your local South Dakota county treasurer's office or mail to:

Motor Vehicle Division

Duplicate Title Section

445 E. Capitol Ave.

Pierre, SD 57501

Your duplicate title will be delivered by mail.

Lien on Your Vehicle

If there is a lien on your vehicle, you will need to get the signature of the lienholder on the Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MV-010).

If the lien is being released, attach the form that shows this. The lien will be cleared and a new title will be issued to the owner.

Updating the Name on Your Title

When you apply for a duplicate title in South Dakota, you'll need to supply the current odometer reading of the car to update the mileage.

If you wish to update a title to show a name change, you will need to sign the Application for a Duplicate Certificate of Title (Form MV-010) using both your original and updated name. You can also supply a notarized affidavit stating you are the same person who originally signed the title under a different name.

When updating your name with your local SD MVD office, you will need to supply your driver’s license with the updated name. You may also provide a notarized affidavit that documents your name change.

Apply »