Rhode Island Lost Title Bond / Certificate of Title Bonds

Rhode Island Lost Title Bond / Certificate of Title Bonds 

Apply »

What is an Rhode Island Lost Title Bond? 

Rhode Island Lost Title Bonds are required by the state of Rhode Island's DMV Department of Revenue to obtain your title and register your vehicle, boat, RV, mobile home or trailer.  The bond ensures that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle, Mobile home, trailer etc. The Rhode Island Lost Title Bond guarantees damages up to the bond limit for a legitimate title holder that may surface in the future with a valid claim to the vehicle, Mobile home, boat or trailer.

Different parts of a bond:

There are 3 parts to a surety bond. The Principal, The Surety Company, and the Obligee. The Principal is the business or individual applying for the Surety Bond. The Obligee is the individual or entity requiring the Surety Bond and the Surety Company is the company who provides the Surety Bond coverage.

 Try our 100%  Secure Lost Title Bond Online Application to get the Lowest Lost title bond rates in all 50 States.


You can buy your Rhode Island Lost Title Bonds (Apply) online immediately, with no credit check for most Lost Title Bonds.

How much does a Rhode Island Lost Title Bond cost?

For Rhode Island Lost Title Bonds under $5,000 the cost of the bond is $100. For bonds over $5,000 the rate is 1.5%

Rhode Island Lost Title Bond Information and Requirements

Taxes & Titles

When you purchase a vehicle in Rhode Island, you are required to pay sales tax on the vehicle and obtain a title in your own name, even if you do not register the vehicle.

·         You will need to complete both a Sales Tax form and a Application for Title (TR-2/TR-9) form.

·         This transaction may be processed by mail, please send documents and payment to Division of Motor Vehicles, 600 New London Ave., Cranston, RI 02920.

·         Costs are listed in the DMV Fee Table.

Non-Titled Vehicles

Rhode Island does not title vehicles model year 2000 and older. If you would like to obtain documentation in lieu of a title, you must provide the following documents:

·         Bill of Sale (if you are not the current registered owner).

·         Identification.

·         Application for Registration and/or Driver License Information.

·         Fee of $12.50.


Duplicate titles are processed at the DMV headquarters in Cranston only.

·         You must complete the Application for Title (TR-2/TR-9) form.

·         Costs are listed in the DMV Fee Table.

·         Titles are only required for vehicles that are 2001 and newer. The Research Office at the DMV headquarters in Cranston can assist you in documenting the vehicle's information.

Notes on liens and lienholders:

·         Rhode Island does not require a person to apply for a new title once the lien has been satisfied. RI only requires the lien to be released by your lien holder signing off on the title and/or providing you with a letter of lien release to attach to the title.

·         You can only apply for a duplicate title if you are the owner listed on the original title. If you still have a lien on the vehicle, the lienholder can apply.

·         If your title has a lienholder listed on it but you've paid off the loan, you will need an original lien release from the lienholder and present it with your application.

Apply »