North Dakota Lost Title Bond

North Dakota Lost Title Bond

There is no Lost Title Bond in North Dakota. 

North Dakota Lost Title Information and Requirements:

Replacing a Lost Title in North Dakota

If you wish to sell a vehicle or use it as collateral for a loan, you will need to produce the vehicle's title. But sometimes, no matter how careful and organized you are, you may find that your vehicle's title has been lost, stolen or damaged and made illegible. If this is the case, you will need to order a replacement title. Don't sweat it. Lost titles happen.The North Dakota Department of Transportation (NDDOT) handles and processes lost titles. It's in your best interest to order a duplicate title. You'll need it in case you decide to sell or transfer ownership of your titled vehicle.
Ordering a Duplicate North Dakota Title
NOTE: If you have purchased a vehicle but lost the title before you were able to transfer ownership, the previous owner must apply for the duplicate title before a new one can be issued to you.

You can apply for a duplicate ND title for a vehicle if you are the registered owner, lien holder, the owner's personal representative, or someone who has power of attorney.
You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at any motor vehicle office except for the Williston office.
To apply, you'll need to:
·         Fill out the Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (Form SFN 2872).
·         Show your registration certificate.
·         Provide the reason you are requesting a duplicate title (lost, stolen or illegible title, etc.).
·         Pay the $5 duplicate title fee.
Or, if you're not feeling social, you can mail the application along with a check for $5 to:
Department of Transportation
Motor Vehicle Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505

If there is a lien on the vehicle, the title will be mailed to the lienholder. The duplicate will contain the line, "This is a duplicate certificate and will be subject to the rights of a person under the original certificate." Should you find your original title after the duplicate has been issued, you will need to forfeit the original to NDDOT.
Can I add a lien to the title during this process?
Lien information can be added to Section V of the title application. You will need to note whether it is a new or used vehicle and provide the lienholder's name and mailing address. When there is a lien, the title will be mailed to the lienholder.
What happens if I lost the title before transferring ownership on my newly acquired vehicle?
·         If you lost the title before you were able to transfer ownership, the previous owner must apply for a duplicate title before you can get a new title in your name.
·         If the previous owner is deceased, their estate may apply for the title. They will need to provide a copy of the personal representative papers or fill out an Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent (SFN 2916).

Making Corrections on Your Title

You can add or remove names, change the address or update the mileage when you are applying for a duplicate title.
To make these changes, you'll need to:
·         Fill out the appropriate section of the title.
·         Supply the supporting documents, such as:
o    Court order.
o    Personal representative paperwork.
o    Proof of address.
For more information, visit our page about Changing Your Address.
Name Changes
To change the name on your title, you will need to supply a driver's license, non-driver identification card, or another document that shows your new legal name. There is a $5 fee for all duplicate titles.

Apply »