You can apply for a duplicate ND title for a vehicle if you are the registered owner, lien holder, the owner's personal representative, or someone who has power of attorney.
You can apply for a duplicate title by mail or in person at any motor vehicle office except for the Williston office.
To apply, you'll need to:
· Fill out the Application for Certificate of Title & Registration of a Vehicle (Form SFN 2872).
· Show your registration certificate.
· Provide the reason you are requesting a duplicate title (lost, stolen or illegible title, etc.).
· Pay the $5 duplicate title fee.
Or, if you're not feeling social, you can mail the application along with a check for $5 to:
Department of Transportation
Motor Vehicle Division
608 E. Boulevard Ave.
Bismarck, ND 58505
If there is a lien on the vehicle, the title will be mailed to the lienholder. The duplicate will contain the line, "This is a duplicate certificate and will be subject to the rights of a person under the original certificate." Should you find your original title after the duplicate has been issued, you will need to forfeit the original to NDDOT.
Can I add a lien to the title during this process?
Lien information can be added to Section V of the title application. You will need to note whether it is a new or used vehicle and provide the lienholder's name and mailing address. When there is a lien, the title will be mailed to the lienholder.
What happens if I lost the title before transferring ownership on my newly acquired vehicle?
· If you lost the title before you were able to transfer ownership, the previous owner must apply for a duplicate title before you can get a new title in your name.
· If the previous owner is deceased, their estate may apply for the title. They will need to provide a copy of the personal representative papers or fill out an Affidavit for Collection of Personal Property of the Decedent (SFN 2916).