New York Lost Title Bond

New York Lost Title Bond

Apply »

What is an New York Lost Title Bond? 

New York Lost Title Bonds are required by the state of New York's DMV to obtain your title and register your vehicle, boat, RV, mobile home or trailer.  The bond ensures that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle, Mobile home, trailer etc. The New York Lost Title Bond guarantees damages up to the bond limit for a legitimate title holder that may surface in the future with a valid claim to the vehicle, Mobile home, boat or trailer.

Different parts of a bond:

 The bond is required when The Obligee (obligator) is the entity requiring you to get the bond.  There are 3 parts to a surety bond. The Principal, The Surety Company, and the Obligee. The Principal is the business or individual applying for the Surety Bond. The Obligee is the individual or entity requiring the Surety Bond and the Surety Company is the company who provides the Surety Bond coverage.


Try our 100%  Secure Lost Title Bond Online Application to get the Lowest Lost title bond rates in all 50 States.


You can buy your New York Lost Title Bonds (Apply) online immediately, with no credit check for most Lost Title Bonds.

How much does a New York Lost Title Bond cost?

For New York Lost Title Bonds under $5,000 the cost of the bond is $100. For bonds over $5,000 the rate is 1.5%

New York Lost Title Bond Information and Requirements

If the seller has a title certificate that was transferred to the seller by the previous owner, and the title certificate displays the name of the previous owner, the seller must get a title certificate that displays the name of the seller. Use the Application for Title Only (PDF) (MV-82TON) form. Follow the instructions carefully.

Do not use the MV-82TON form to

·         apply for both a vehicle registration and a title certificate at the same time

·         replace a lost title certificate

If the seller cannot get a title certificate that displays their name, they can contact the DMV to get more information.


Non-titled vehicles

Replace a NY State transferable registration

If the NY State transferable registration is lost, the current owner can apply for a duplicate registration document at a DMV office. Use the Application for Registration or Title (PDF)  (MV-82) and the instructions for Registering/Titling a Vehicle in New York State (PDF) (MV-82.1). The current owner

·         can transfer the ownership with the duplicate registration, even if the registration is expired

·         must also complete a bill of sale (see Get proof of ownership at purchase)


Office procedures have changed due to COVID-19.

We recommend you conduct your DMV business at the office or by mail in the County where you are a resident.

Use the Certification of NY State Registration for Transfer of Non-Titled Vehicle

If the NY State transferable registration is lost and the DMV cannot issue a duplicate, the current owner can apply for Certification of NY State Registration for Transfer of Non-Titled Vehicle (Form MV-353). The DMV must verify that the vehicle was registered to the current owner. The current owner must provide proof of identity (see proofs of identity). There is a fee $10 for form MV-353. The current owner can use form MV-353 and a bill of sale.


Use the Statement of Ownership (PDF) (MV-51B)

If the DMV cannot issue a transferable registration or form MV-353 the registration applicant must show other evidence of ownership. For example, the applicant can show an old registration, an original Manufacturer's Certificate of Origin, or an original Manufacturer's Statement of Origin. If the proof is not available, the applicant can use the MV-51B for proof of ownership.


Use the Certification [Affidavit] of Sale or Transfer (PDF) (MV-51)  for 1972 or Older Vehicles or Any Other Non-Titled Vehicles

If the seller did not register the vehicle, the boat, the ATV or the snowmobile, they can give the buyer

·         a completed MV-51

·         the original proof of ownership

·         a bill of sale that they received from the previous owner

If there are other previous owners, the seller must also give the buyer proofs of all previous transfers of ownership. The seller must also give the buyer a bill of sale.


Seller did not provide proof of ownership

Before you purchase a vehicle, boat, or snowmobile that is non-titled, make sure that you will receive the acceptable proofs of ownership. If you cannot get any of these proofs, you must

·         contact the person that sold you the vehicle, boat or snowmobile to you and get

o    a bill of sale, and

o    a registration receipt or form MV-353 transferred to you


·         write to the owner and request that they transfer the acceptable proof of ownership to you and mail the proof to you (we recommend you use certified mail to request a return receipt

If you do not receive proof of ownership and the US Postal Service returns your certified letter, bring all of these items to a DMV office

·         the returned certified letter in its envelope, not opened

·         a pencil tracing, a photo or a police statement that shows the vehicle identification number

·         a notarized affidavit that explains how you got the vehicle and how you tried to get acceptable proof of ownership

·         other documents that are evidence of ownership - for example, a bill of sale or registration documents of the previous owners, or your cancelled check for payment

·         a completed Statement of Ownership (PDF) (MV-51B) -  if you have had the vehicle, boat or snowmobile for less than one year and it was never registered by the previous owner, the previous owner must complete form MV-51B



If your proof of ownership for a non-titled vehicle, boat, or snowmobile is not a NY State transferable registration, the local DMV office will issue a non-transferable registration. You can use the vehicle, boat or snowmobile with a non-transferable registration, but you cannot transfer your ownership to another person.

The DMV Title Services Bureau will examine your proofs and will mail to you either a transferable registration, or a letter that explains why the DMV cannot issue a transferable registration.

Apply »