Nevada Lost Title Bond

Nevada Lost Title Bond

Apply »

What is an Nevada Lost Title Bond? 

Nevada Lost Title Bonds are required by the state of Nevada's DMV to obtain your title and register your vehicle, boat, RV, mobile home or trailer.  The bond ensures that you are the rightful owner of the vehicle, Mobile home, trailer etc. The Nevada Lost Title Bond guarantees damages up to the bond limit for a legitimate title holder that may surface in the future with a valid claim to the vehicle, Mobile home, boat or trailer.

Different parts of a bond:

The bond is required when The Obligee (obligator) is the entity requiring you to get the bond.  There are 3 parts to a surety bond. The Principal, The Surety Company, and the Obligee. The Principal is the business or individual applying for the Surety Bond. The Obligee is the individual or entity requiring the Surety Bond and the Surety Company is the company who provides the Surety Bond coverage.


Try our 100%  Secure Lost Title Bond Online Application to get the Lowest Lost title bond rates in all 50 States.


You can buy your Nevada Lost Title Bonds (Apply) online immediately, with no credit check for most Lost Title Bonds.

How much does a Nevada Lost Title Bond cost?

For Nevada Lost Title Bonds under $5,000 the cost of the bond is $100. For bonds over $5,000 the rate is 1.5%

Nevada Lost Title Bond Information and Requirements

Any person damaged by the issuance of a bonded certificate of title has a right of action to recover on the surety bond for any breach of its conditions. The bond must remain in force for three years from the date of issuance even if the vehicle is sold.

How to Apply:

You must be a Nevada resident and the vehicle must be present in Nevada.

Applications are not accepted at DMV Field Services offices.

Bonded vehicle titles are processed by the Title Research Section in Carson City only. Affidavits and forms are available only through Title Research.

Do not purchase a bond prior to receiving documentation from the Department authorizing the bonded title and the bond amount required.

Here are the steps in the process:

  1. Contact the Department’s Title Research Section, in Carson City, (775) 684-4810.
  2. Complete parts 1 and 2 of the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271). Vehicle inspections may be completed at DMV Full Service offices, by a sworn law enforcement officer or by a business authorized by the DMV in accordance with NRS 482.220.
  3. Send the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271) and copies of all ownership documents to the Title Research Section.
  4. The Department will conduct a vehicle theft and brand history search.
  5. The Department will calculate the bond amount based on the original Manufacturer’s Retail Price (MRP).
  6. The Department will return the bond amount, listing of required documents and any additional requirements.
  7. Obtain the bond and complete the Vehicle Bond Affidavit (VP 272).
  8. Complete all areas in full, either typed or printed in ink.
  9. Part 4 of the Affidavit for Bonded Vehicle Title (VP 271) must be notarized or witnessed by an authorized DMV employee.
  10. Return all original documentation and fees to the Title Research Section in Carson City.

Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles
Title Research Section
555 Wright Way
Carson City, NV 89711

Please use traceable mail or a service that tracks your package. You may wish to use certified or registered mail when sending original documents.

The title will be mailed to you once issued or to the lienholder, if any. Dealers and financial institutions are required to use the DMV's Electronic Lien and Title system.

Once the title has been issued, you may register the vehicle. All normal registration requirements apply. If the title is issued on a salvage vehicle, you must follow the salvage vehicle procedures to rebuild the vehicle before it can be registered or sold.

Bond Requirements

The bond must be:

  1. Executed by the applicant as principal and by a corporation qualified under the laws of Nevada as surety;
  2. In an amount equal to one and one-half times the value of the vehicle Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) or 25% of MSRP if a salvage vehicle; and
  3. Conditioned to indemnify any:
    • Prior owner or lienholder of the vehicle, and his or her successors in interest;
    • Subsequent purchaser of the vehicle, and his or her successors in interest; or
    • Person acquiring a security interest in the vehicle, and his or her successors in interest, against any expense, loss or damage because of the issuance of the certificate of title or because of any defect in or undisclosed security interest in the applicant’s right or title to the vehicle or the applicant’s interest in the vehicle.

The bond that is purchased for the bonded title must be in force for three (3) years even if the vehicle is sold.

Any claim of ownership for the vehicle is referred to the bond company for review and decision. The DMV does not make any designation/decision on claims against the bond. If a claim against a bond is denied, the claimant must proceed via civil court.

Apply »